Pages

Friday 18 May 2012

V is for Victory

I am definitily one for having many projects on the go at any one time and this jumper is the latest. Knitting is one of those things that you can quite happily sit and do whilst watching a film or whilst your other half has control of the tv. I'm not an experienced knitter by any means; in fact the only thing i have made before is a scarf but i thought i would give it a crack anyway.

I found a variety of free knitting patterns on the Victoria and Albert Museums website and fell in love with this 40's victory jumper.

As much as i love to support local businesses where wool is concerned i didn't have a clue where to start so off to Dunhelm Mill i went to buy wool; of course i got red, white and blue!

I am lucky enough to have a few ladies of a mature disposition (aka grandmas haha) to ask for help and i was lucky enough to get my hands on more than enough knitting needles of all different sizes to complete this project and many more.
My two pence worth when buying needles is ask for them at your local charity shop or look out for them at car boot sales.You can certainly pick them up for cheaper than you will at any other shop and you may even strike it lucky and pick up a bundle at a bargain price. Last time i went they were 20p a pair! You can't get better than that!

So i had the wool, i had the needles and i had armed myself with the suitable inspiraton of other peoples success stories with this pattern. Let the knitting commense!!


The wonderful world of Youtube was my first stop for any problems that i encountered and there are hundreds of thousands of handy tutorials from the very basics to the more complicated. If you are brand new to knitting and want to start Youtube is the place to look as you can see step by step what to do and what things should look like.

So far my delightful jumper looks like this:
 
Not too shabby if i do say so myself. I have nearly finished the back with a few glitches and mistakes along the way; but forgive me i'm learning. Its a working progress and i will fill you all in on my progress along the way!

If you would like to knitt this jumper too check out this link to the V&A website and have a look at the other little gems that they are gratouse enough to give for free.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/users/node/1744

Happy Knitting!

Hugs and Kisses
Ana
xxx


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ana, I'm stopping by from the Vintage Network. I'm so jealous of people who have the patience to knit properly! I can really only crochet stuff because it goes so much faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Desiree, thanks for checking my blog out. I must admit it does take a bit of time to get used to it but do give it a go. If you like crochet try knitting Aran it's just as fast X

      Delete