Pages

Wednesday 28 November 2012

It's just afternoon tea darling

Baking is something I have never been much good at but lately I have found myself wanting to master it. Today's adventure was scones, the quintessential British accompaniment to a classic afternoon tea. I am a great lover of these tastes treats so what more reason would I need to make them haha.

My lovely mum handed down some recipes to me and i would like to share one of those with you guys. Trust me my mums recipes have never failed me yet, not even at baking!!!!!

So for this recipe you will need:

  • 225g Self raising flour
  • 55g butter, softened
  • 25g caster sugar
  • 100g milk
  • pinch of salt


  1. Preheat your oven to 220 o C and grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a bowl mix together the flour and salt. Add the butter and rub together with your hands so that it looks like bread crumbs. This is why it is important to use softened butter at room temperature as it makes it easier to mix.
  3. Add the sugar and milk. Stir together until it makes a soft dough.
  4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead very lightly.
  5. Pat the dough out into a round about 2cm thick.
  6. Use a cutter to stamp out your scones (if you have one, if not i found a glass works just fine). Place on your baking sheet.
  7. Brush the tops with either a little butter or milk for a nice glaze on the top. Your scones should look little like this:
  8. Bake for about 12-15 minutes untill golden brown and well risen.





I added a few sultanas to mine. There are loads of variations i will try now that these turned out so yummy!! I  think i will try the cheese ones!

Let me know if you try this recipe out for yourselves and how your scones turned out. Also whats your favorite addition to add to this recipe to make your favorite type of scones.

Hugs and Kisses
Ana
xxx

3 comments:

  1. My mum was a wizz in the kitchen too...except when it came to scones. I grew up hating them as mums were so hard when my brother threw one at me he left me with a black eye! But since finding my own never fail recipe I just adore them. I am going to have to try them with sultanas in next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana! I'll have to try my hand at scones! They look pretty simple to make.

    If you haven't seen it yet, we have awarded you with a suprise over at Brentwood Lane! Check it out :)

    --Viola
    http://brentwoodlane.blogspot.com/2012/12/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderfully tasty looking! Love the addition of sultanas, they make everything just the little bit sweater and tastier (ooohh, just thought...dried cranberries might make for a fun, festive version this time of the year).


    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete